Wednesday, November 9, 2011

In Search of the Perfect Kremés--Part 4

Today we tried the fourth place recommended in the Wall Street Journal article The Crèam of the Krémes in Budapest.

Szépvölgyi út is the HEV stop for Daubner

Daubner Cukrászda was not in the heart of Budapest, so we took the HEV one stop past the Margit Hid station. Then we walked about a half mile to the unassuming Daubner. We'd have missed it had we not been looking.



It's a long shop, very modern and clean with helpful servers. We were the first to tell them about being in the Wall Street Journal and one of the sales girls copied down the web site info.

My Hungarian friend Márta had told me that I must try to the Pogácsa if I went to Daubner. She said that the locals not only consider it the best place for Kremés, but also for the Hungarian biscuit, the Pogácsa. 



Now for any Brits who might be reading this, a Pogácsa is like an American biscuit, not the cookies you call biscuits.



I was already a fan of a good Pogácsa, but Daubner cranked it up a few notches. I have never tasted such great Pogácsa.

But first let me tell you about the Kremes. It was a smaller size, but only 179 forint (about 80 cents). The crust was perfect--flaky and flavorful. The filling wasn't my favorite, but it tasted fresh. It was more like a firm pudding than a custard to me. 


I would rate it #4 out of the 4 we've tasted thus far, and I wouldn't come the extra distance for the Kremes, but you can guarantee that my husband and I will be taking the HEV to get Pogácsa at Daubner. 
We tried two kinds of Pogácsa--regular cheese and Gouda cheese, and the Gouda was our favorite...flaky, moist, with a cheesy-buttery flavor...perfect mixture of flaky and soft, light and moist.
Oh, yes!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks admin for the nice post, Its really helpful to get lots of new information.

    diet forums

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...